Monday, September 24, 2007

Improv Overview

After confusing a few readers with the specialized focus of my writings, I decided to include a piece on the foundation of the Devil Mountain Improv League, and explain the Improvisation Theater as an art form.

First, I understand if the question comes to mind: What is Improv?
There are only a few good descriptions, and lots of bad descriptions of what Improv is.
The most popular example is the television series Who's Line is it Anyway?

The art form itself has been around for much longer than the television series -- even the original British version. If you're interested in the History of Improv, do some research. You can even check out my list of suggested reading.

The DMIL is a high school league established for students by students, and has been around since 1996. It began with only three high schools participating in this creative and interactive art form, and it continues to grow. At some point, I hope to include a detailed history of the DMIL. For now, you'll just have to take my word that it was awesome.

In many ways, Improvisational Theater is known as the "Poor Man's Theater." This is because the lack of props, costumes and sets makes for a very cost-effective production. This art form, while not requiring much money, does require quite a bit of dedication to the craft and skill. This makes it ideal for high school students who may not have a large income, but do have the time and focus to build and develop the complicated skills necessary to master the art of improv. While the actors do not need to buy props, costumes and sets, they DO need to find a way to physically portray everything in the environment spontaneously, in order to help the audience imagine the world being created. Improv does not seem complicated until you realize the actors are manifesting a world out of thin air, while simultaneously creating characters we can relate to, emotionally realistic relationships, and events that are believable enough to fit in everyone's imagination.

Improv can create events that you never would imagine were possible, but maybe they are.



Improvisational Theater teaches skills that are useful for the stage as well as everyday life. The application to everyday life has become enormously prominent, especially when it applies to corporate team building. This site will not focus on the worldly applications, since corporations have the money to afford bringing in a professional instructor who can guide them through the process. If you're interested, I recommend it. The fluffy-cuddly testimonials are everywhere.

6 comments:

Lauraelena said...

It is great to see you are so dedicated to something! Sometimes I think that I lack a strong passion for something in life. I did a lot of improv at Saint Marys and I really enjoyed it. I'm a broadcast journalism major and I know that improv is very relevant to that field. You have to think off the top of your head when the prompter goes down! I also think that improv is just a great character builder for everyone. It gives people a chance to step out of the shells, especially when a person tend to be shy. I'd like to her more about your specific group and more about how it runs.

Lauraelena said...

Ooops... I meant HEAR more about the group!

NattieAnn said...

Improv is so much fun. But you are totally right, it does take time and lots of practice. I took a few drama classes in high school and the teacher focused heavily on improv. I was never very good at it but it is still alot of fun. I found this video that shows a girl doing a really great example of improv.

slurpster03 said...

I took a Leadership class here at SFSU , and we did alot of improv in that class. It definitely helps you think fast and create a fun atmosphere for everyone. I love the show "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" I heard rumors that it was somewhat scripted though. What do you think?

gwillis said...

I love improv! I used to do it when I was younger, between the ages of 10 and 14. I really wish i stuck with it more, but I guess I was just too damn insecure at the time. My high school had a really hilarious improv troop, and some of my friends now were on it. I definitely consider people who are really good at improv to be exceedingly more talented than actors who just read lines. A lot of the performers on shows like SNL and MAD TV got their start in improv, and I would love to see more of it around.

Totally unrelated link, I noticed the "Thriller" prison video (which I've seen before, hilarious), and thought you would get a kick out of the Bollywood take on "Thriller" (if you haven't already seen it).

Marie Drennan said...

Excellent post (very carnival-friendly, too) -- it brings a lot of accessibility to the topic, and you give plenty of info/orientation that is clear on its own and supplemented by well chosen links. Your own reading list is a terrific resource. And your description of "Poor Man's Theater" and what it takes to do effective improv is really inspiring. The concept of applying improv skills to life (or to corporate culture) is also fascinating; I hope you write about that down the line sometime! A great piece of blog writing overall.

Bug to fix: "Whose Line" (not "Who's")